Range Rover VelarTech | 06 Mar 2017
A LUXURY SUV
Range Rover Velar premiered and occupies the gap between Evoque and Sport. To the Range Rover line, the Velar adds “glamour, modernity and elegance”, it is the new and the unfamiliar. One of the main innovations is the flush-fitting door handles (and ice proof). Moreover, the vehicle has a touch screen duo, like a “technology butler”. Land Rover bets on simplicity, on the complexity removal.
Gerry McGovern, Land Rover’s Chief Design Officer, considers that this is “a new type of Range Rover for a new type of customer”. It is a SUV designed, according the brand, with the last tendencies in “design, precision, engineering and technology”.
But it does not renounce its origins. Its ancestry of the original luxury SUV and all-terrain vehicle is perceptible. Velar is a “direct reference” to the code name used by Land Rover during the production of the first Range Rover prototype, on the 1960’s.
Some of the main Velar’s characteristics are:
- Flush-fitting door handles
- Touch screen duo
- Kvadrat premium textile – a wool-blend cloth, as a luxurious alternative to leather
- Matrix-Laser LED headlights
- Copper detailing, in which the colour extends to the bonnet and side vents, and front bumper blades.
- Touch screens – ultra-fast Ethernet, Intel quad-core processor
- Meridian Signature sound system (1600w)
- Possibility of connecting eight devices to the vehicle wi-fi hotspot
- InControl: Apps that allow to lock and unlock the vehicle, climate control, verify the fuel remotely, and other features
- All-wheel drive, with IDD (Intelligent Driveline Dynamics)
- Has a 650mm maximum wading depth
- Air suspension – until 251mm ground clearance
- Aluminium-intensive body
Photos: Land Rover